Monday, April 20, 2009

DJG's Weekend Watcher

Firefly * * * * *
Directed by: Joss Whedon / 2002-2003

Like with “Freaks & Geeks”, I get sad every time I begin and end the short-lived television series “Firefly”. Joss Whedon’s brilliant space western was culturally-criminally treated like crap as it didn’t even get one full season. At least it spawned the movie “Serenity”, but fans are still left with so many what-might-have-beens with these lovable and complex characters and their unique space storytelling in a somewhat oddly believable future. See it. See it. See it.

High Fidelity * * * * *
Directed by: Stephen Frears / 2000

Saturday was National Record Store Day and I watched “High Fidelity” for the umpteenth time. It’s in my all-time top 5 films and holds a special spot in-tune with my heart. And like a great song, the movie resonates even more as time passes.









I Love You, Man * * * ½
Directed by: John Hamburg / 2009

My second helping of “I Love You, Man” was even better as I got to share it with the buddy I’ll be playing Best Man to soon. Which is the main subject for this fantastically funny and fresh comedy starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. It’s been quite a surprising comedy year so far with this one and “Adventureland.”








Battlestar Galactica: Mini-Series * * * *
Created by: Ronald D. Moore / Directed by: Michael Rymer / 2003

Everybody and their alien have been telling me to watch “Battlestar” for a few years now. We finally got to the 3 hour mini-series that re-started the franchise that began back in the late ‘70s. It’s always exciting yet intimidating to start a new and lengthy television series. I’m honestly not quite sure what makes the mini-series so good, other than it just IS and wrapped with all the familiarities of favorite sci-fi and space whatnots. I now look forward to seeing characters and stories develop and a bunch more stuff gettin’ blown up in space.

Stripes * * ½
Directed by: Ivan Reitman / 1981

I used to clear a room with, “I’ve never seen STRIPES.” Now, I’ll clear a room with, “I think STRIPES is overrated.” I think the idea of, “Let’s send a jerk Bill Murray to the ARMY!” looks great on paper, but for some reason “Stripes” doesn’t translate to the movies for me. My wife and I tend to feel the same way about 95% of the roles that Will Ferrell takes. And I’m very perplexed with “Stripes” as Ivan Reitman is behind the camera of Bill Murray, Harold Ramis (who also wrote), John Candy and other funny men. Is it too dated? I don’t even think it’s that. Perhaps if I’d grown up with it, like everybody else I know, it would mean more to me? I doubt it.




Munich * * * * *
Directed by: Steven Spielberg / 2005

How in the heck did “Crash” win the 2005 Academy Award for Best Picture? Four years later I’m thinking “Crash” who? “Munich” is genius direction and cinematography meets bold storytelling, a story inspired by the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Olympic terrorist attack. Steven Spielberg doesn’t hold back the bold punches in this recent masterpiece that he refers to as “historical fiction”. I find it fascinating and ferocious film genius that I wish to own.

No comments: