Thursday, April 9, 2009

DJG / Timecrimes

Timecrimes * * * *
Directed by: Nacho Vigalondo / 2007

Spanish language films have seen a major boost, at least from my vantage point, in the past decade. Or, has Spain and Latin America always been cranking out the hits? Add “Timecrimes” to a contemporary list of unique and well-crafted, fresh perspective, genre-bending films like “The Orphanage”, “Volver”, “Pan’s Labyrinth”, “Amores Perros” and “Y Tu Mama Tambien” (among others). “Timecrimes” is a first-rate science fiction thriller that is smart, simple and a tongue twister of time travel. I was on the edge of my seat and had to be as this film is quick on its feet, much more than me if I got caught up in time travel. Especially, if there were three of me and only 30 or 40 seconds apart! See it. See it multiple times. -djg

No comments: