Monday, March 30, 2009

DJG's Weekend Watcher

Happy-Go-Lucky * * ½
Directed by: Mike Leigh / 2008

I don’t get why the critics ga-ga’d and top-ten’d and I feel I’m missing the boat with “Happy-Go-Lucky”. Or, maybe my movie hopes were too high and especially after Mike Leigh’s masterpiece from a couple of years ago, “Vera Drake”? Mike, what is the point of your new movie? And Sally Hawkins, you did a great job of making me like and dislike you with every other scene. It was like you were on laughing gas, though my laughing response turned to annoyance after fifteen minutes. I respect you, but am still perplexed at your Golden Globe win for this one. I tend to dislike it when people say, “I’m not sure what I was supposed to get out of that movie.”, but I am now one of those people.

Hairspray * * * *
Directed by: Adam Shankman / 2007

I haven’t seen the original 1988 movie “Hairspray”, but I’ve seen the Broadway production and now this new adaptation. I’m sold on it and can’t recommend this musical enough, based on the original idea from John Waters. What a treat and fun time at the movies…and backed with a message. There should be an Academy Award for Ensemble Cast because this one is a joy to watch. Also, an Oscar for Best Scene because you can’t paint a more brilliant one than John Travolta in drag dancing in the moonlight with Christopher Walken.

Twilight *
Directed by: Catherine Hardwicke / 2008

Catherine Hardwicke, your "Twilight" movie STINKS. If I were writer Stephenie Meyers, I would have been P-O'd (but not once I cashed the checks). However, at least you’ve made something more watchable and more somewhat enjoyable than Richard Kelly’s “Southland Tales”. A movie which I judge all form of low-grade-BAD to since 2008. I’m so glad I’m not interested in reading this vampire series because I’d have your terrible movie stuck in my head the entire time. Yikes. Pre-Teens, Teens and Housewives, go grab your Edward Brood-Up Doll at Hot Topic and keep this movie adaptation to yourselves.

The Transporter * *
Directed by: Corey Yuen / 2002

Why even bother to slow things down and have a plot in a movie like this!? I wanted more stupid-awesome in this opening film that put the muscle on Jason Statham’s stupid-awesome movie career as the new Steven Seagal. Fans who think that the series went downhill with the sequels will probably transport me to a prime butt-kicking at Action Island once they read that I actually like the third one better than the first. -djg

No comments: