Monday, March 9, 2009

DJG / Frozen River

Frozen River * * * *
Directed by: Courtney Hunt / 2008

It’s no cliché that good can be born out of bad. I only hope that we can grow from mistakes and in some circumstances it’s hard, but grace can be achieved. I’d heard “Frozen River” was good, but from the start was expecting another run-of-the-mill, dark and brooding independent drama heading towards tragedy and an unresolved ending. No pun intended, but I was expected to be left in the cold. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the places “Frozen River” took me and it held my attention fully. It’s refreshing to find a movie like this putting faith in the power of grace. “Frozen River” is one of the underrated gems of 2008, as is Melissa Leo’s Oscar-nominated performance (the screenplay also received a nod). Leo plays a tough-nosed woman doing what’s best for her children in dire circumstances, even if that means getting caught up in her worst judgment to pay the price. It's a moving story and independent dramas need to take note.

-djg

No comments: