Monday, May 4, 2009

DJG's Weekend Watcher


Bram Stoker's Dracula * * * *
Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola / 1992

Francis Ford Coppola’s “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” is flawed…is clumsy…is extremely awkward at times…is bloated…obsessively wears style on its sleeve…is almost entirely poorly acted…and I absolutely love it and appreciate it greatly! For those interested in a cheap Collector's Edition DVD, I found my two-discer recently at Target for only $5!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine * * * *
Directed by: Gavin Hood / 2009

I have a new favorite “X-Men” movie! I enjoyed the triple-pack of the first movies, but was left feeling overwhelmed with the amount of information and characters and not enough time spent in development and proper execution. They did contain plenty of fun and stuff blowing up though, so credit dished out there for sure. “Wolverine” is both awesome and entertaining, packing major punch too. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t have to be, even when “Wolverine’s” claws got a bit too “Roger Rabbit” at times. Regardless “Wolverine” is the spectacle to open the summer blockbuster season and didn’t skip a beat. I wonder what origin is next?! Honestly, I could easily watch two more movies with Hugh Jackman’s “Wolverine” as the anchor.


Special * * *
Directed by: Hal Haberman & Jeremy Passmore/ 2006

It had some moments, but I think that “Special” had more potential to really be something special, than what was actually presented. The story is there, as a man signs up for a trial drug to boost self-confidence and ends up believing that he has super powers, but the movie came up short for me. However, one of the definite highlights is seeing actor Michael Rapaport in a movie like this. I don’t think he gets enough credit, and/or quality roles, so hopefully this one will open up some special doors for him.






CJ7 * * * * *
Directed by: Stephen Chow / 2008

I took a second spin with Stephen Chow’s wonderfully sweet “CJ7” and still think it’s his best work to date! Chow has been cranking out fantastic work for a while now, and I just really hope his work can get a much wider audience, because this creative genius storyteller deserves it!









Kill Bill Vol. 1 * * * * *
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino / 2003

I’m super stoked to see another official Quentin Tarantino release in the theaters this summer with “Inglourious Basterds”. It’s always a treat to see his work on a big screen, multiple times. “Kill Bill Vol. 1” was an incredible big screen experience for me and even still is on my smaller screen at home. And I saw “Kill Bill Vol. 2” for the first time at the drive-in, so that was even better! I hope to watch “Vol. 2” again this weekend as I slowly work through Tarantino’s catalog again and again before his epic-obtuse WWII film comes out in August. If you’ve yet to be convinced by the man’s talent(s), I feel sorry that you’re missing out on some incredible film flavors and fun! He just can’t make movies fast enough for me though! -djg

1 comment:

T Paul Buzan said...

im with you on "Wolverine": big, dumb, summer badassery. although it didnt quite satisfy me the way "X2" did i thought it was good fun.

next on my 'splosions list: "Terminator". there's just too much blowin up in that trailer for me to ignore it.