Thursday, May 7, 2009

DJG / Three Random Films

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer * * * 1/2
Directed by: Jon Knautz / 2008

Following in the footsteps of campy horror classics, I place “Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer” right below a couple of other recent higher budget, big name genre hits in “Bubba Ho-Tep” and “Slither”. The film has just enough development, mayhem, monsters, carnage and a lot of silly fun. Oh, and Robert “Freddy Krueger” Englund in an awesome role!








Help! * * * *
Directed by: Richard Lester / 1965

The Beatles’ follow-up to “A Hard Day’s Night” isn’t nearly as great, but “Help!” is still oddball, fantastic fun and surprisingly fresh to me.












Predator * * * *
Directed by: John McTiernan / 1987

I love me some classic ‘80s action. I love me some “Predator”: Arnold, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura, amazing screenplay, bad acting, muscles, blood, fire power, memorable lines, and an unexplained alien monster in the jungle! This past week I heard that filmmaker Robert Rodriguez is finally getting to make a “Predator” movie. Re-watching the original just made me even more excited for another one, and especially at the hands of somebody like Rodriguez who will more than likely jump-start the series. –djg

No comments: