Tuesday, February 24, 2009

DJG on The 81st Academy Awards

There is always so much build up to The Academy Awards, especially the 81st, and then it goes so fast. It felt as if Sunday night dissolved as quickly as my giant pile of hot dogs, baked beans and macaroni and cheese that I ushered off of my plate faster than Barbara Walters could interview all of the Jonas Brothers. I’ve had a day of reflection on the grand gala pageant that is The Oscars, not that I really needed time to reflect as most of my reflection came weeks and months prior, even during some of the films, but being a movie fan I tend to get a little down on the emotional ladder the morning after. Heck, even the evening after as I caught the encore of Oprah’s Oscar party. I think it’s because 2008, at least in the world of film, is finally labeled and wrapped up snuggly in its canister placed on the shelf. All of that build up is gone. However, it doesn’t mean it will be dust-covered and it doesn’t mean that voices, emotions, talent and worlds explored will become a shelved file, even after death. Some have only just begun, some are already getting new and improved offers, some will connect with a wider audience on DVD in the next few weeks, and some might still be partying. And in the case of Mickey Rourke, an old dying star has been granted a second chance in the same year the rising star in Heath Ledger is laid to rest in peace. But, life or death and win or lose, the legacy blazes on and so do the movies. Every Oscar morning after I’m already wondering what no-name film or character coming out in the new year will be groomed and fitted for an 82nd Annual Oscar tux or gown…and what director, film, actor I’ll be blogging and hyping a hundred times about later this year. -djg

DJG on The 81st Academy Awards

Meryl Streep was in Jack Nicholson’s seat. In fact, I don’t even recall him ever being shown? Is this the first time he’s missed one of these? Are the Lakers a better ticket?

-

Hugh “I’m Wolverine” Jackman! He was an amazing host, the best in years, and I bet his Hollywood stock just went up big-time! My only complaint is that he seemed to disappear at times and I wanted MORE! I must add that his opener was the best I’d seen since Billy Crystal blew me away in 1992.

-

Tina Fey and Steve Martin presenting the screenplays was genius. Steve has hosted before...perhaps they could tag team in the future?

-

Jack Black made a funny...and I bet he got a phone call the next morning. It went something like this, "I make a lot of money doing voice-overs for animated films. The money I make doing these animated films for Dreamworks Studios I take and gamble on Pixar animations to win Oscars."

-

Where was the annual Honorary Oscar? I realize that Jerry Lewis received a special Oscar for his wonderful charity work. However, I do wish they would have extended it a little bit longer. It is great to see an elder in the industry smell the roses while they still can.

-

Though, it seemed to take up an extra hour (it didn’t bother me, but I’m sure it bothered some), I really enjoyed former Oscar acting winners saying nice things to each 2008 acting nominee. It gave a sense of history, importance, integrity and torch passing. It was also awesome to see a legends of cinema five pack seem like they were about to beam up. Perhaps this should have been done with the directors too? However, I think there should have also been clips of each performance, especially for those that haven’t seen them yet. I realize that this would have set the broadcast back a few more bucks and minutes, but the acting statues are the typically the most anticipated. At least have clips prepared to play after each winner speaks. That would be a cool idea.

-

Academy, why not have five nominees in every category across the board? Some have four, some three. I’ve beefed on this before as it really annoys me, and not just because The Boss wasn’t invited.

-

I appreciated The Academy’s attempt at showing those at home the steps in the movie making process per each award handed out. Although it was a little awkward at times, and mostly due to those presenting, it was a nice treat and fresh ‘n’ fun stamp on a notoriously-known-to-be stuffy awards show.

-

Hardcore conservative Christians…please stop protesting movies

-

I think that a website, all-access television program or theaters nationwide (maybe all three options) should have special viewings of all the Oscar nominated shorts. Though, I don’t think a lot of people had seen, or even heard of, the Best Picture nominees. I realize that even down the street from my house, some of these shorts are playing at the theater. However, why not make them accessible to everyone and in all viewable formats? Everything else is at our fingertips with technology, so why can’t these? Or, maybe they are out there to be had and I’m just uneducated?

-

I’m sure some are perplexed to why Heath Ledger was not shown during the annual honor to those who passed away last year. Well, if you remember last year, they showed him. I still think they should have put him in there, especially since this was his final industry send-off. Queen Latifah, great song. But, producers, there were many times where I didn’t know what face/name was on screen because of the camera angle trying to get Queen in the shot. Not everybody in ‘merica has a giant television!

-

I enjoyed the change in the ceremony and it did well at celebrating the tradition and legacy of The Academy Awards. Though, it did feel a bit wobbly and unrehearsed at times. The visuals were beautiful, elegant and fairly simplified (in Hollywood standards), and I appreciated how close the audience was to the stage, instead of seeming like they were down below. It was also nice to see the orchestra/band in a better seat. The montages weren’t over-done, like in previous years, and it was nice to see a well-rounded tribute to all movies in general. Also, great job on the Best Picture montage as you showed past pictures that helped carve the way for today’s work.

-

The nominated scores and songs seemed to be a little rushed and mashed-up too much. Also, why was Peter Gabriel exchanged for John Legend. I like Legend, though he didn’t really seem to mix with this, but why not have the actual singer-songwriter nominated perform? Peter, did you just have a baby like M.I.A.?

-

Disgruntled fans of “The Dark Knight”, you can now stop complaining.

-

I enjoyed the 2009 movie previews at the end of the broadcast! Nice bonus! However, I think that The Academy Awards should grab viewers similar to what The Super Bowl does and debut movie teasers and trailers, along with special movie-related commercials.

-

Yay David Fincher for finally getting an Oscar nomination! Yay “Slumdog Millionaire” for your initial underdog status-turn-big winner! Yay Danny Boyle and your Tigger bounce on stage that you promised to your kids years ago! NOTE: People…fill the theaters for this movie and future Danny Boyle films. He’s been just shy of the spot lights for too long. I think he is the next Steven Spielberg.

-

I'm sure that by taking a day to reflect, I actually forgot a lot that I was thinking of saying while watching the 81st Academy Awards. Oh well, it's probably better that way. I just enjoyed it and enjoy me some movies!

-djg

ps: I recognize how harsh and low-brow this is, but I can't help but wonder how many cast members of "Slumdog Millionaire" Angelina Jolie adopted on Sunday night?

No comments: