Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DJG / What the Duck...?!

Howard the Duck * 1/2
Directed by: Willard Huyck / 1986

What the Duck...?!

In 1987 I was thrilled to finally get my eyes on a VHS of “Howard the Duck”. Odd though how I couldn’t recall a single thing about the film for the next 22 years, other than A: pure pre-enthusiasm upon seeing it and B: a topless female duck. I remember my mom happening to walk right in front of the television as Howard flew by his fellow apartment tenants in the opening minutes via a rocketing La-Z-Boy, passing regular ol’ ducks and then a naked female duck in the bath. I think my mom double-checked the PG rating on the box, and from what I gather, shut the movie off. I honestly don’t remember the rest of the two hours. And why might a movie like “Howard The Duck” even be more than an hour? Geesh, this movie goes on and on and on. It’s not even cool-bad in a cult classic way. This movie is just plain B-A-D and certainly not for a seven-year-old. At 30, I did find myself chuckling along, but wow I thought I’d like it more…I have no idea. “Howard the Duck” could have really been something and especially so just shy of two incredible cartoon-fresh and technological darlings of the time (and even now), “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”. Those movies must have learned something from “Howard the Duck” as it has to be one of the top worst movies of the 1980s and a definitive pre-cursor to the damage its executive producer George Lucas was set to give “Star Wars” fans ten years later. One thing is for certain, I’m so glad that Howard wasn’t made of CGI. And let’s hope Howard doesn’t ever get the remake treatment, though I doubt it could get any worse. Mom, I wish you would have been there to shut it off the second time! -djg

No comments: