Monday, June 22, 2009

DJG's Movie Morning Monday


The Spirit of the Beehive * * * ½
Directed by: Victor Erice / 1973

The first few years of significantly building my home movie library (uh, before I got married and responsible) I would buy films on a research whim, or for the heck of it, without seeing them first. Or on sale, whichever came first. Sometimes the results would be great, sometimes not. “The Spirit of the Beehive” is definitely one of those movies that I probably would have purchased without seeing first and would have definitely received “sometimes not” results. I’m glad I didn’t buy it back when I first heard about it. Though, I think this is a movie that I might like more the second time because it would come without high expectation. You see, I had high expectations for this one. But, I am not nearly as foul as when I saw “Floating Weeds" (for the Chad & Danny record, “The Spirit of the Knee Chive” is way better than “Floating Chodes”). “The Spirit of the Beehive” started out very strong for me as a small '40s Spanish village (in particular two young girls) obsesses over a print of the classic movie “Frankenstein” and then the film within the film influences the film. Get it? I thought I did at first, and there are things I like about it, but I think it lost me in its quest for subtle, eclectic art. By the time it invited me back in, it was over and I wanted so much more. I recognize this as a great movie, but I only find it to be a good movie. Is it fair of me to say this? I think so. It’s kind of like how I think bee keeping would be a great job, but it wouldn’t be a good one for me. I’m not certain there will be a second viewing with this one. Though, maybe I’m just not ready for "The Spirit of the Beehive" and maybe I should have bought it back in the day so I could put it in my “to watch again” pile for some rainy movie day? I don't know. -djg

No comments: